Opportunity for Non-Executive Directors
The Southwark Diocesan Board of Education Multi-Academy Trust (SDBE MAT) is part of a Diocese which spans 12 Local Authorities from Bexley to Surrey. Our Multi-Academy Trust is currently the primary vehicle for schools wishing to become academies across our incredibly diverse Diocese. As a Church of England Trust, ensuring our pupils flourish, rooted in a Christian education, underpins all we do.
A wonderful opportunity has arisen to join our Trust Board, currently overseeing 12 academies with significant growth planned for the Trust over the coming years.
Following a recent skills audit, we have identified some skills gaps which we are looking to recruit to, ensuring we are prepared for growth and have directors with live or recent experience in the areas that are most required. The role of a Trustee is very much strategic in that you will be taking a ‘helicopter view’ of how well each of our schools are doing but you will also get to get to know the schools through visits for example, and by attending celebration events. Whilst it would be advantageous to have education/ academy experience, you do not need to be an educational expert; in fact, we welcome people with skills and backgrounds outside of education so that we may benefit from a healthy balance and diversity of perspectives.
On this occasion we are hoping to recruit at least two trustees with the following skills and/or experience:
- Digital learning / Marketing / IT
- Multi-Academy Trust Growth / Development and/or Compliance. For this post, it would be advantageous if you were part of an Academy Trust structure.
Being a director is a challenging but hugely rewarding role and one which you can help make a big difference to young peoples’ lives. In terms of personal attributes, we are looking for someone who:
- understands and observes the principles of public office (Nolan Principles)
- is committed to promoting the highest standards of safeguarding across all of our schools
- cares passionately about children and providing the best education possible
- is determined to help level up the inequality of opportunity for young people
- will commit to upholding the vision and values of our Trust
- has the capacity to attend four full Board meetings and three sub-committee meetings a year
- Is ideally a committed Christian
In return for your commitment, we offer you the opportunity to:
- make a real difference to the lives and aspirations of our children and young people
- ensure that our staff benefit from working in the best environments possible where
- their health and wellbeing are at the forefront of our thinking
- develop your professional skills and experience at a strategic level, similar to that of a director
- gain experience of a working environment different to your own
- be a valued member of a hardworking and inspirational team
The Diocese of Southwark is committed to diversity and inclusion and especially most recently in our Anti-Racism Charter and would therefore encourage applications from women and those from UKME backgrounds.
For further information and an application form please contact: