CPD and Training - Booking Page
Back to CPD and Training - Booking Page List
Safer Recruitment Training
Delivered internally this course gives participants the information and understanding they need to recruit safely and comply with relevant statutory guidance. It is suitable for head teachers, safeguarding staff, school governors and all others in the education sector who are involved in staff selection. This training is accredited by the Safer Recruitment Consortium.
Experience over many years shows that it is important for organisations that provide services to children to incorporate into their recruitment and selection procedures measures that help deter, reject or identify people who might abuse children, or who are otherwise unsuited to work with them. Making safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of children an integral part of human resources (HR) management in organisations that work with children is an essential part of creating safe environments.
The need for this was illustrated by the Soham case and the findings and recommendations contained in Sir Michael Bichard’s report into that case (2004). However, the principles are not new. Many of the same issues were addressed in Sir Norman Warner’s 1992 report Choosing with Care which examined recruitment and selection in residential children’s homes.
The safer recruitment workshop builds on those reports and recommendations. It aims to:
- Give participants an awareness and understanding of offender behaviour.
- Identify the key features of staff recruitment that help deter or prevent the appointment of unsuitable people.
- Consider policies and practices that minimise opportunities for abuse or ensure its prompt reporting.
- Explore the elements that contribute to an ongoing culture of vigilance
- Help participants begin to review their own and their organisation’s policies and practices with a view to making them safer